Applying Love Led Leadership In The Workplace (Part 2)
Two weeks ago we were joined by Sheena Howard, RN, and she shared her incredible career journey as well as introducing us to the principles of love led leadership. This episode picks up right where we left off, so if you haven’t listened to it then I’d go check it out right now.
In Part 2 of our conversation, we dive into how you apply love led leadership whether you are a formal or an informal leader (hint – you can apply it anywhere and everywhere). We talk about how when you do implement love led leadership you support your teams, you decrease burnout and you increase joy. Given how burnt out our profession is, these are incredible outcomes.
Listen right until then end, as Sheena shares the two experiences in her career that have meant the most to her and they are powerful beyond words.Click here to listen at nurseleaders.ca
We start by discussing the four step process to becoming a love led leader and go on to discuss:
- The value of sharing personal experiences as a leader
- The movement love led leadership hopes to inspire
- The ripple effects of burnout
- Resiliency in leadership and managing challenges
- And more!
- Do something that has NOTHING to do with nursing.
- Expand your territory – learn new skills, meet new people and stay curious.
- Take risks. Step out of your comfort zone, then write about it as a means of processing what worked or what could be improved.
“If you’re interested in a formal leadership position, just try it! Seek out opportunities whether they be volunteer or formal to engage. You can learn very quickly how to effect policy, talk to media, and skills which will help you in applying for formal roles.”
“Maybe your leadership is done at the bedside and that is just as valid as any formal position.”
“Taking that risk, when you get to the other side it was never as hard as you thought it would be.”
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Sheena on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Email Sheena
- Thesis: Inspiring Positive Change in the Healthcare System Through Love-Led Leadership
- Leadership & the New Science by Margaret Wheatley
- Power & Love: The theory & practice of social change: Adam Kahane
- Seeing Systems: Barry Oshry
- Presence: Human purpose & the field of the future: Senge, Scharmer, Jaworski & Flowers
- The Fifth Disciple: Peter Senge
- Leads in a Caring Environment
- The Stages of Change
Sheena is a proud positive deviant, status quo questioner and change agent. Sheena uses love-led leadership and the be LOVE-LED™ Framework in mentoring, coaching, and consulting emerging or existing leaders to move themselves, their teams and their organizations toward positive change. She has seen love-led leadership actions reduce and reverse the cycle of fear, shame, blame, and guilt that create burnout and imposter syndrome. Sheena has witnessed the devastating effects when love-led leadership isn’t used by leaders and never wants to see that again. She is the Founder of The Global Love-Led Leadership Movement which strives to share love-led leadership around the world and connect other love-led leaders with each other for networking and mentorship.